Environment and Conservation
- Check out the Forest Stewardship Council and learn about the certification process for sustainable forestry.
- The Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand is New Zealand’s largest national conservation organisation. The Society’s mission is to preserve and protect the native plants and animals and natural features of New Zealand.
- The New Zealand Ecological Restoration Network is actively involved in conservation, community, networking and distributing resources.
- The Good Wood Guide is a wonderful on-line resource for everyone who uses wood for anything at all.
- And then there’s Greenpeace of course.
- Everyone in New Zealand needs to see “The gift of Life,” the Organ Donation website.
- The Natural Death Centre in Britain is a great source of ideas and information about simple and natural funerals.
- Final Passages in California has a wonderfully human, heart- based website.
- Memorial Ecosystems in South Carolina aims “to harness the funeral industry for land protection and restoration…. and to provide a less expensive and more meaningful burial option.” They also have a very comprehensive and informative website.
- Earthartist is an informative Landscape Architectural thesis on the development and design of woodland cemeteries in Canada.
- My Final Planner – A workbook with over 300 pages of fill-in-the-blanks on how to prepare for your own funeral.
- Preserve your legacy of values. Find out about Ethical Wills.
- Explore The Funeral Consumers Alliance, an American non-profit organisation which is dedicated to a consumer’s right to choose a meaningful, dignified, affordable funeral.
- Caring for our own at death. Crossings are “renewing simplicity and sanctity at the transition time of death”.
Other interesting sites
- The Soil and Health Association is a mine of useful inspiration.
- The vision of The Natural Step Environment Foundation Aotearoa New Zealand is a society in balance with nature.
- The Ecologic Foundation of New Zealand promotes “Pathways to Sustainability”.
- Friends of the Earth International is a federation of autonomous environmental organisations from all over the world who campaign on urgent environmental and social issues.
- An extensive source of useful links (including central and regional government and academic institutions) and other information is the Environmental Defence Society, a New Zealand-based environmental advocacy organisation.
- ECO is New Zealand’s network of groups which share a concern for the environment.
- Check out Treegivers.com for a gift with a difference!
- Celebration Forest is an American organisation which plants trees in a protected forest preserve and dedicates them in celebration of life.
- ATLA (Appropriate Technology for Living Association Inc) aims to promote environmentally sustainable alternative technologies and healthy lifestyles.
We wish you good journeys…